This is the RP thread for the I Olympic Winter Games (Noterelenda: Jemes Iúïnires Olimpikires Onetes) in Aeropag, Commerce Heights (Éropeg, Altales Teriadem).

The following forty nations have signed up, and will be participating in the Games:
An archy [ANA]
Anastasiania [ANS*]
Andossa Se Mitrin Vega [AMV]
Antrium [ANT]
The Archregimancy [ARC]
Ariddia [ARI]
Bazalonia [BAZ]
Becquerelia [BEQ]
Boudra-Boudra [BDB]
Cantr [CAN*]
Ceorana [CEO]
Chicanada [CHC]
Commerce Heights [COM] (host)
Crna Gora Liv Eng [CNG]
CR Oscilloscopes [CRO*]
Domnonia [DOM]
Dorian and Sonya [DAS]
Jonquiere-Tadoussac [JTD]
The Kazoo Peoples [KZO]
Kelse [KEL]
Krytenia [KRY]
Liverpool England [LEN]
Maineiacs [MAI*]
Magnus Valerius [MVA]
Malabra [MLB]
Mikitivity [MKT]
New Montreal States [NMS]
Pacitalia [PAC]
Pschycotic Pschyos [PPS*]
Qazox [QAZ]
The Resurgent Dream [RDR*]
Ropa-Topia [RTS*]
San Adriano [SNA]
Schiavonia [SVO]
Spaam [SPA]
Spruitland [SPR]
Stevid [STV]
Tynelia [TYN]
Wentland [WEN*]
Zertunia [ZER]
Asterisks indicate codes assigned by the Capitalizt Olympic Committee that have not been approved by the NationStates Olympic Committee. These codes may be changed in the future.

The opening ceremony is set to take place at 14:00 UTC today (2006–03–17). The first events will start at 18:00 UTC, and more events will take place at two-hour intervals for the next sixteen days, ending with the closing ceremony at 2006–04–02 04:00 UTC. The schedule and results will be made available on the Aeropag Olympic Web site (which will be linked to when it is completed, sometime before the first event) as they are scorinated, as well as being posted in a results thread (which wil be linked to when it is started) on the forums at the end of each day of competition.

Good luck to all nations and athletes competing.

All 84 atheletes from the Maineiacs' Olympic dlegation had arrived in Aeropag. Nervousness ran through them all. They waited to be shown where they'd all be staying in the Olympic Village.

OOC: So here is my tag. :P

IC:

The delegation from Magnus Valerius has arrived, ready to compete in various different areas of competition. The group of 86 athletes made themselves comfortable in Aeropag. Prince Ivan, crown prince of Magnus Valerius, brought his friends and girlfriend and arranged for them to stay in a hotel nearby. The flagbearer, speedskater Jean de Bourbon, readies himself to lead the way when the delegation parades in the Opening Ceremony.

OOC: is it too late to sign up?

The Zertunian Athletes exit the plane and enter the Buses. After a nerveracking and uneventful bus ride the athletes arrive at the village.

Memorandum

To: Winter Olympiad Opening Ceremony Organisers, Aeropag

Dear Sirs,

We are hereby notifying you of the protocol for the arrival of the Archregimancy team from the Dreamed Realm for the opening ceremony.

The monks will not arrive in Commerce Heights before the opening ceremony.
For the parade of nations, please leave a gap between Antrium and Ariddia sufficiently large for the Archregimancy team. Precisely five minutes before the Archregimancy team is due to enter the stadium, the team will materialise from the Dreamed Realm in the gap between Antrium and Ariddia. The flag bearer will also be carrying the Holy Icon of the Mother of God, Bringer of Victories. If the flag bearer is not permitted to carry said icon, another monk will carry the Holy Icon directly behind the flagbearer.

Please also note that the Winter Olympiad is being held during Great Lent, and our team therefore expect a chapel to be provided in the Olympic Village solely for Orthodox services. Said facility can, of course, be shared by athletes from the Archregimancy, New Montreal States, Magnus Valerius, and any other nation sending Orthodox athletes to the games.

Yours in Christ,

The Monastic Olympic Committee of The Archregimancy

PS: We commend to your nation's attention 1 Timothy 6:10

The small delegation of Bazalonian atheletes, 30 in all, including the male curling team arrived on the plane to Aeropag from Fauxhan. Olympic spirits where high but no one really knows just how the Bazalonian team will do.

Also accompanying the athletes where the officials from the BzOC.

The Qazoxian Delegation has arrived in Aeropag and is ready to compete and hopefully win something.

(ooc: Qazox's Abbrviation is QZX not qaz....tyvm)

ASMV Arrives in Aeropag. Ready to Make Some Noise

The delegation from ASMV arrived today and quietly went about the business of registration and preparing for the Opening Ceremonies of the 1st Winter Olympiad. All hope is for a great showing as we try to put our mark on the athletic world.

The Winter Olympic Delegation from Dorian and Sonya has arrived and is ready to prove to the world that even a nation seemingly stuck in the Dark Ages can compete with the rest of the athletic world. We are ready to make a name for ourselves in these games.

Mikitivity Enters the First Winter Olympic Games
Athletes representing Mikitivity have arrived at Aeropag

Miervatia Today

Aeropag, Commerce Heights – The 37 Mikitivian athletes representing Mikitivity in the First Winter Olympics Games arrived in Aeropag this evening via a special chartered flight to the distant nation. Together they will compete in a total of 28 different events.

Open ceremonies for the games are scheduled to begin tomorrow afternoon, local time, with events scheduled for the next 17 days. The Mikitivity Olympic Confederation Committee chose biathlon and cross-country skier Galen Hauser to bear the nation’s flag during the opening ceremonies. Though the Brig native is not favored in his two events, Hauser’s job as a teacher made him a logical choice as the symbol of Mikitivity. When asked on his selection as the flag bearer, Hauser joked, “I honestly don’t know why I was chosen over so many other fine people. Perhaps it is because my village is so high in the Thuvian mountains that my name was on top of the list.”

The Aeropag Winter Games represent the first time Mikitivity has sent athletes to an international sporting event outside the International Democratic Union, with high expectations that the delegation of athletes might bring back some Olympic medals. With 39 other nations sending their own athletes, many of whom have participated in various World Cup sporting events, the competition for Olympic medals will be tough.

Though Saint Katrina native Karl Reisig is expected to do well in the Alpine Combined event, the fact that the personnel trainer is entered in two other Alpine Skiing events has raised some concerns that he might be fatigued after his first event. However, Reisig and the rest of the Mikitivity delegation is looking forward joining the top winter sports athletes in the world. Paul “the Rascal” Rasch, who is entered in the men’s individual normal and large hill ski jump events, said, “I’m not really interested in the medals, as getting a chance to share the slopes with so many people from around the world.”

A bit later than expected, after missing their first plane due to trouble at the customs (" 'Bi-ath-lon' you say, lame excuse, you know you can't bring guns on a plane "), the Boudra-Boudra delegation has now arrived at Aeropag. Most of the athletes were completely blown away by the greatness of it all. Katrina Zekzibitsj (speed skater): "it's awesome, especially this olympic village. I can't wait to start my races!"

OOC: although BDB is a nice proposition, the official three-letter code for Boudra-Boudra is "BOU". :)

Caratia
OOC: is it too late to sign up?

Yes. But you can still join the NationStates Olympic Committee, and participate in any future Olympic Games.

Qazox
ooc: Qazox's Abbrviation is QZX not qaz....tyvm

It’s QAZ on the NSOC member list. You should talk to Krytenia about fixing it—once he changes it, then I will as well.

Boudra-Boudra
OOC: although BDB is a nice proposition, the official three-letter code for Boudra-Boudra is "BOU".

See above.

—————

To: Monastic Olympic Committee of the Archregimancy

Since religion isn’t something most Capitalizts think much about, we had assumed that the diverse religious facilities on Aeropag Island would be sufficient for all of the athletes. However, since our research has determined that the only Orthodox chapel in the Jativan Islands is in Muroran, and since the Olympic Village is significantly underbooked, one of the unused buildings in the Village has been made available for your use.

PS: That is why Commerce Heights, thanks to the brave actions of Matthew Yates and the other leaders of the Capitalizt Revolution, abandoned central banking over eighty-eight years ago. It is for their sacrifices that Yates Island, the site of the Olympic venues, is named.

—————

OOC: I’ve been having intermittent problems with my Internet connection for the last several days, which seem to be getting worse. It’s not currently a major problem, but if it becomes one, the Games may have to be delayed. So if I’m mysteriously absent when this is supposed to start, you know why. :p

The small but generally select Wentland team arrived at their lodgings in the Olympic Village in Areopag. They were gratified to see the Wentland flag was already flying - the organizers had done a good job.

Chef de mission Arthur Loaf spoke to the assembled athletes in the dining hall to announce who will carry the flag in the opening ceremony. "We've decided, as it's our first Games, to hand it to the oldest competitor. So Allan Martin will bring us all in."

The squad cheered. Martin had been a standard bearer for Wentland winter sports for 20 years. Well past his never-impressive peak, he had been included in the Squad merely because it was his one and only chance to compete in the Games. And his motivational skills were valuable; he had beent tipped as a future team manager.

"Any comments, Allan?"

"Yeah, when do we start?"

((OOC- i posted a roster for the Tynelian winter olympic squad on page 3 of the roster thread and am also listed on wiki and the original sign up thread as being included but i don't see Tynelia (TYN) on the list at the start of the thread as being part of this. Did i forget to fill something out somewhere?))

A pair of buses arrive outside the Olympic village containing the Tynelian olympic squad of 44 members, evenly broken down with 22 men and 22 women. A security guard steps forth as the buses reach the gates and holds out a hand to halt the trucks.

"Hello, this is the Tynelian Olympic team here for the winter events. Can you tell us where we'll be quarted at?" began Team Head Coach Alan Davis.

"Tynelia you say?" asked the guard with a slightly confused look.

"That's right, the Dominion of Tynelia to be technical, we sent in the paperwork a while back before the cutoffto make sure we registered in time and here we are. So where are we staying?" Davis replied

"Sorry sir," the guard continued flipping through his clipboard, "I don't see anything here about a team from Tynelia you say... No quarters set aside or even that you should be here."

"WHAT!?! What do you mean we're not listed! Who's in charge here, we were in well before the deadline. We fly all the way here and get these men and women all excited about representing their country and you're telling us we're not even on the list!?!" Davis exploded.

"I'm sorry, i don't about about any of that. Just that you're not on the list. i'll contact my superiors if you wish but there's no place for you at the moment. If you'll excuse me i'll call him." the guard finished as he turned and walked over to his station to call the higher ups.

"This is ridiculous." Davis muttered outloud. "Coming all this way for nothing. Someone back home is going to get into a lot of trouble over this if this checks out."

“Brrr. . . It’s rather chilly here.” Linda Uosh rubbed at her arms in an effort to keep warm as she stepped out of the coach within the Olympic Village. A speed skater and short track athlete, she was used to cold temperatures while indoors and training, but outside? Outside was supposed to be reasonably warm, even in winter; at least, it was in the temperate to tropical climate of the Ariddian Isles, a long way from here in the Pacific Ocean.

“I think that’s why they call them Winter Games,” bobsleigher Joseph Horn smiled, as he handed her her bulky bag from the coach’s luggage compartment. He looked round at the others, still filing out of the vehicle or milling around nearby, taking in their new, utterly foreign surroundings. “So. . . Ready to take on the capitalists?” he asked cheerfully, loud enough for all those nearby to hear. The question drew cheers in assent.

Some of the Ariddians, he knew, felt mildly uncomfortable about being here, in this very bastion of capitalism. One or two even felt that their presence might be seen as endorsing this reviled socio-economic system. But most were curious, and interested in finding out how people lived (or survived) in a capitalist country. Horn had to admit to himself that he was curious too. Visiting a strange, foreign country, broadening his horizons, was always something he was keen to do.

“Let’s go, then!” he said cheerily, as they made their ways towards their quarters to settle in.

Thomas Peruzzi walked over to the window, and gazed out at the view of Aeropag. The Olympic Village was ideally located, and he could see right out over the bay, the sea and could just make out a scattering of nearby islands. No mountains, though, not from this side of the building. Still, he couldn’t complain. The room was well-heated, and he had it all to himself. Which was hardly surprising, given that he was the one and only athlete representing his home nation.

He had arrived in the Olympic Village by taxi, wondering where he would be staying. It turned out he was being housed with the Ropa-Topian delegation, which made sense. They were geographical neighbours, after all. A pretty Uhuh-Topian reporter had accompanied him as he got out of the taxi, entered the Village, inquired about accommodation and was directed to his room. No doubt the images of his arrival and settling in would be broadcast in San Adriano, and he had dutifully assured his compatriots back home that he was proud to be representing them in these Games. Which he was. Even if it was a little intimidating, he reflected, out here abroad, alone from his country, all of San Adriano’s hopes for a medal resting on his shoulders. Well, he could but do his best.

Moving away from the window, he returned to the bag he had slung onto the neatly prepared bed, and began to unpack. His sportsuit was a faintly glossy, chequered green and red, the colours of the Sanadrianese flag. Speaking of which. . . He rummaged around until he found the large, folded and well-packed flag he had brought with him, and carried it over to the window. Opening the window out onto the cool winter breeze, he carefully attached the flag to the small railings, and let it unfurl downwards. There, he thought, with a grin, as it began to flap in the breeze. San Adriano is present at the Olympics. We may be small, but we’re not going to go unnoticed!

Still grinning to himself, he returned to unpacking. . .

New Manhattan
It’s BDB on the NSOC member list. You should talk to Krytenia about fixing it—once he changes it, then I will as well.

Boudra-Boudra went for BDB after all as the bureaucratic government has enough papers to handle already.

Meanwhile Annabella-Sylvia Vangenechten, the only Boudran participant in the Nordic Combined events, has become ill. Possibly she has an allergic reaction to something she ate earlier. She is still willing to participate, but it is very well possible she will be too weak to do so. She is kept in quarantine from the other members of the BDB delegation, more information will follow about her condition.

Liverpool England delegation to fly in from Stadt Nicht
The Liverpool England delegation has announced its intentions to fly in overnight via Concorde jet from the Heartland Winter Games in Stadt Nicht. Those participating on Day Four of the Heartland's equivalent of these games have had their events rescheduled by the organisers of the Heartland Games.

The sole (bronze) medallist for Liverpool England so far at the Heartland Games, Jane Elkins (Biathlon Women's 7.5k sprint), will be flag-bearer at the opening ceremony, and not Roy Wadley, who will make a later flight due to schedule clashes.

The men's halfpipe team, after flying over from the Imperial Shogunate, had spent all of an hour in their room at the Olympic Village. It so happened that an hour was the amount of time it took for their coach to go over the "you're representing your country" speech. It ALSO just so happened that an hour was exactly the amount of time it took for empty energy drink bottles to spread out, piles of "clean" clothes to build up, and someone's boxers to end up in the microwave oven. Ishimaru Shun walked over to the climate control, turned down the heat, and then slammed the glass sliding door open. The blast of incoming cold air blewe his long, red hair back from around his face. He turned around to his two teammates, "good times, boys. Good times."

Nakamura Taiki looked up from sharppening his board's edges, "I'll say," he said. He paused and looked around the room. "Hey, doesn't this remind you of our first competition together?"

Shun's face lit up. "Oh, yeah!! The one where we didn't have money for the hotel room..."

Fujiwara Taiki cut in, "and we relied on winning the competition to pay it off..."

"And the we all totally CHOKED and had to work it off in room service for a WEEK!!!" Nakamura burst in. The three of them laughed until they were sick.

"Yeah, at least now there's three beds. Remember when little Nakamura had to sleep on the couch?" Fujiwara said mockingly. Nakamura jumped up and shoved him. Fujiwara fell back into a pile of their snowboards and other equipment with a loud bang. "Ah! Shit!" he swore in japanese. The door to the connecting room slammed open and Yamashita Shun popped his head in, "would you all shut the hell up??"

Fujiwara looked up from the floor, "sorry dude."

"Damn halfpipe kids," Yamashita said as he shut the door.

"Hey, guys, check this out! San Adriano's showing a little pride!!" Shun yelled from the balcony. The other two walked over to see the flag.

"Hold on, I got somethin'." Nakamura said. He dashed to his boardbag and opened it. Inside were two long, verticle flags mounted on poles. The flags were solid black with a sillhouete of a phoenix with outstretched wings on it in red. He ran back to the balcony and tied one to each outside corner. The flags immediately took up the wind and stretched out. He went back to his bag and brought back a giant national flag. A red rising sun with four rays at each compass point on a field of green. He tied it to the railing and threw it over.

"Holy shit, where'd you get the Royal Family's flags??" asked Shun.

"I'm the shogun's son, remember??" Nakamura replied. He cupped his hands and yelled as loud as he could in his native japanese, "Pschycotic Pschycos is here, and we're gonna kick all of your sorry...!!!!" The rest was lost to the wind.